Around the world, communities are being dramatically affected by the outbreak of COVID-19. Everyone has been affected by the pandemic and CDC’s recommendations to say home in an effort to keep our communities healthy is here for the foreseeable future. As we adjust to this new normal, you may be wondering how it affects your smile. If you’ve been hoping to start the journey to a new smile, or you’re currently in treatment, you may even be concerned about what this all means for your progress. The great news is that the team at Bowen Family Orthodontics is looking out for you! We’re now offering free virtual consultations for new patients and virtual visits for our existing patients. This means nothing has to stand in the way of your best smile or prolong the process of getting the smile you’ve always wanted!
Keep Your Smile On Track with Virtual Visits
If you’re currently undergoing treatment and are worried that you’ll lose some of the progress you’ve worked so hard to make, worry no more! We’re now offering virtual visits to make sure Dr. Bowen is still able to keep track of your teeth and stop any potential problems before they arise. All you have to do is take some pictures of your teeth, based on the examples we provide, and fill out some information about yourself and your treatment. Dr. Bowen will review your photos and notes and reach out to you with next steps you can take to move forward.
How it Works
It’s pretty simple: first, you’ll take some pictures of your smile, following the step-by-step instructions on our virtual visits page. Second, you’ll give us some basic information about your treatment along with photos showing your mouth from every angle.
Here are a few tips to help you get the perfect photo:
- Have someone take the photos for you, or use the self-timer on your camera
- Be sure flash is turned on
- Be careful to ONLY photograph your teeth and mouth area
- Try your best to relax your face and avoid tensing up your cheek muscles
- Keep your teeth together and bite down hard, so the pictures are accurate. This is very important!
Taking Care of Your Teeth and Appliances
There are a few things to keep in mind while you’re keeping up your treatment at home. Although the rest of your routine may have changed, it’s crucial to maintain all of your great oral hygiene habits and keep taking care of your appliances.
- Wear aligners as directed by Dr. Bowen.
- If you don’t have the next aligner in the series, continue to wear the previous aligner for 15-18 hours a day until your next in-office visit.
- If you lose or break an aligner, use the previous one in the series.
- Continue to use any other equipment (such as elastics) as instructed by Dr. Bowen.
- If you run out of aligners, don’t stop wearing them! Visit our virtual visits page and schedule an appointment so we can determine your next steps.
- Continue to wear elastics as directed by Dr. Bowen. If you run out, let us know, and we’ll mail you more!
- If you have any wires sticking out, apply a small ball of orthodontic wax to help relieve any discomfort until you can come into the office. You may also try trimming the wire with a pair of nail clippers or small scissors.
- If you have a loose bracket, let us know, and we’ll fix it at your next in-office appointment. Until then, you can try to gently slide the bracket back to the middle of your tooth.
- Avoid any and all foods that can damage your braces. This means sticky and crunchy foods, as well as anything else that would be considered too hard for braces to handle. This will help prevent any emergencies, and keep us all safe at home!
- And of course, keep your braces clean and free of food debris or plaque!
- Continue to do turns, as instructed by Dr. Bowen.
- Schedule a virtual appointment to talk to us about the next steps!
- If you’ve lost or broken a retainer, contact the team at Bowen Family Orthodontics and we’ll talk about your next steps.
- If your bonded retainer has come loose, continue to wear your removable retainer full time until we are able to see you and either remove the broken portion or repair the area.
We’re Open For Emergencies
If something happens to your appliances while our offices are closed due to COVID-19, we’re still here for you! We can talk you through your options to address the problem area or we can schedule a visit in the office with minimal staff for emergency treatment. If you experience a real emergency and are experiencing pain, contact us and we’ll be able to take care of you. To ensure your health and safety, we’ll make sure that you’re the only patient in the office and we’ll follow all necessary hygiene precautions, as recommended by the authorities. And as is our standard, we’ll adhere to the highest sanitation and disinfection practices. You have no reason to worry about any part of your treatment as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic together.
New Patients: Get Started with A Virtual Consultation
First, take some photos of your smile following the instructions on our virtual consultation page and the tips listed above. Then, tell us a little bit about your smile goals.
Once we get your photos, Dr. Bowen will review your teeth and determine what kind of treatment is the best fit for your smile, based on your goals for treatment and needs. We offer a variety of treatment to patients of any age, including traditional metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign.
Our team will then work with you to determine the cost of your treatment and how it will fit your budget. We accept most major insurance plans and offer payment plans. We’ll help you determine a financial plan that fits your lifestyle. Finally, we’ll create a plan for your next steps once we are able to see you in the office. Since the situation is changing rapidly, we appreciate your patience and understanding as plans may potentially change.
Socially Distanced, Virtually Connected
As more cities and states put “Safer At Home” orders in place, our goal at Bowen Family Orthodontics is to stay connected and provide support for our future and current patients. By offering virtual consultations and appointments, we can prioritize both your smile and your safety as we do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our communities. The virtual options link you, Dr. Bowen, and our whole team so we can continue to work on your smile together.